Monday, November 3, 2014

Petplan's "Eat This, Not That!"

I'm pleased to share a guide developed by Petplan, which is a primer on edible pet health hazards. Mom sure wishes she had been informed before I ate that Aleve pill 2.5 years ago.

Please read Petplan's "Eat This, Not That!" handy guide and be informed!

Why am I sharing this information?

Longtime readers know that 2.5 years ago I ingested an Aleve tablet -- common name NAPROXEN -- and ended up hospitalized, fighting for my life.

My special Idaho vet Dr. Ward did everything she could to help, including the most important first step: getting me to the emergency vet at Midnight on a Sunday night, so that an IV of fluids could be started on me immediately. I was later transferred to Dr. Ward's care, and she nursed me back to health.

Here's a picture when I was under Dr. Ward's 24/7 care. The tube over Mom's shoulder is my IV line.

You can read a few of my posts about that time here (read down to Dr. Ward's informative comment and through all the comments to see all the love and support, which helped me get well) and here (my ten-day get-well mark). We also did blood work for several months afterward to monitor my health.

The whole experience was terrifying! Dr. Ward is amazing. Thank you, Dr. Ward. Thank you, all, for your prayers to help me heal.

Now here's a recent photograph of me all healthy and doing one of things I love: flying!

Mom says that I'm an all-around champion.

Special thanks to Jackie of Pooch Smooches for suggesting Sam and the Petplan team speak with me. And we plan to check out Jackie's novel, "What the Dog Ate"!

Thank you Petplan for helping educate our humans to keep us fur folk safe. Remember: please read Petplan's "Eat This, Not That!" handy guide and be informed!

Tootsie and her humans

Fur disclosure: we received no treats or payment for this post. It's a general service post.


  1. That is a scary story! My little sis Bailie is one to try to eat everything, but so far we have a good eye on her. Glad you pulled through from your incident.

  2. What a scary time! So glad it worked out okay and you're healthy now. Great lesson to be learned.

    Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats.

  3. Oh my goodness! How scary that must have been for you and your mom! Thanks for sharing this info, so hopefully others won't have to go through this. And thanks for the shoutout and for visiting Pooch Smooches! :)

  4. That had to be incredibly scary. So happy to hear you survived that horrible ordeal. Now, no more pill eating please!

  5. We remember all too well that terrifying incident, dear doggy godmother.
    And what a super guide to snacking. I especially like the bit about shoe chewing being a compliment….
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie (who takes after his human in being a selective reader when it comes to advice on healthy eating).
    PS from Gail - it's scientifically proven that red wine and dark chocolate are good for humans. Isn't it?

  6. That was a terrifying incident. We will check that plan out.

  7. Hi Y'all!

    Oh, that is a scary tale. No wonder my Human is constantly reinforcing my "leave it" command.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...