Monday, August 13, 2012

I'm a Mighty Hunter

Enjoying the dog days of summer in North Idaho is a lot of work. I have to nap -- a lot.


And I have to stare out at the lake -- a lot.


I need lots of rest and contemplative reflection because I spend my evenings hunting for mice.

I may be a full-time snuggle bunny in Switzerland, but in Idaho I turn into a dachshund mouse trap.

My parents discovered this quality of mine shortly after they adopted me 13 months ago. As they were sitting at the dinner table with grandpa, I darted across the room to show off my talent. Dad was speechless; Mom and Grandpa were very pleased.

Mom says I'm a mighty hunter. She's very proud of me, though she still screams each time I kill a mouse. I think she's worried about me eating it, but she should know that the rules of good breeding forbid that. Dachshunds were bred to hunt badgers, and the whole point was that we weren't supposed to eat them.

Tracking and following the itsy bitsy holes in the house is exhausting. Mom said she never knew we had so many holes to the outside. It's kind of gross, really.


I have to run now. My hunting shift starts again soon!

14 comments:

  1. Wow Tootsie, I am totally impressed, and not a little envious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last picture of you. Hunting does take a lot out of ya! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dat's what weenie dogs were made for! Butt...seems like I sleep through it all... :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great master hunter... Keep up the good work! We're impressed that you don't eat the little critters.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy hunting. I like to do it too. Althoiugh I was bred to bring down deer and elk I find hunting mice and voles even more challenging. Also I am not sure what I would do with the elk or deer if I caught one.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  6. We doggies are just so hard-working, and we never get enough credit! Good job at creating a mouse-free environment for your peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of my purpose there can be no doubt
    My genome - it's what I'm about
    Through the holes in my house
    comes the unwitting mouse
    It's a talent I don't always tout

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was taking prednesone it made me really hungry and I hunted and deaded a RAT and brought it into my pawrents bedroom at the middle of the night!! Hunting is hard work, but so satisfying!!

    -Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Mighty Hunter!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Tootsie! You do sound like a mighty hunter. Your work sounds exhausting so gets lots of rest! Love the last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elka is not a mighty hunter. We haven't had mice often (thankfully) but when we have, Elka wasn't any help! Maybe we'll call you if there's a next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you're having a good summer. My girlfriend is having a similar staring contest with the TV! I'm glad you're out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those rocks certainly don't look very comfy. You must be exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, that is a very good point. My Gretchen always is catching moles and deading them, but she no eats them. Well, only that one time anyway. Is you enjoying the You-Ess-A?

    Love,
    Reuben

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...