Monday, January 30, 2012

Monte San Primo

Monte San Primo is the highest peak in the Triangolo Lariano, the triangle-shaped peninsula that divides the two southern arms of Lake Como. The hike to its summit is possible all year round, but fall and winter offer the best views. On a Saturday morning in mid-November, we drove our rental car to the upper trailhead at Colma di Sormano. We started our hike under the inquisitive stare of a cow grazing in the pasture above the parking area.


Our route partially overlapped with the Dorsale Triangolo Lariano, literally the "Lake Como Triangle Backbone," i.e., the trail that runs the entire length of the Triangle connecting famous Bellagio to its once-famous step-sister Brunate.


In the southeastern corner of the Triangle there's a mountain called Corni di Canzo ("Canzo Horns") that reminds me of a joker's hat.


Due east, across from the southeast arm of Lake Como, lie the famous mountains Grignone and Grignetta.


Next summer, Dad plans to visit those two peaks to determine whether there exists a dachshund-friendly (as well as mom-friendly) route. I asked the sheep we met, but they have never been there.


Monte San Primo offers an incredible view of Lake Como, which looks like a downward "Y".


It is a point of pride for me to have posed next to the official survey marker from the Istituto Geografico Militare, roughly the Italian equivalent of the USGS (United States Geological Survey).


I am also proud to have posed in my Dachshund Delights CoverUp coat with Monte Rosa, Monte Generoso, and Sasso Gordona in the background.


I even got to scamper off leash...


...and pose with Italian summit signage.


I would have loved to also explore the side valleys,


but this is Italy, and my parents expected me to pose.



On the way down, Dad took us on a quick detour to a little jewel of a lake. Dear Istituto Geografico Militare, would you please name it Lago della Bassottina ("Lake of the Little Female Dachshund")?


Back at Colma di Sormano, Mom and Dad popped into Ristorante La Colma, a cute roadside bistro, for torte and cappuccino. Inside, Mom freaked at this reminder:


"Perhaps, you will never encounter a viper. But... will he?!"

Will "he"?! As a "she" who has encountered a viper (on a different hike), I find this Italian male pronoun usage patronizing. Che cavolo!

20 comments:

  1. I love your life Tootsie. Those mountains would be a big hike even for me. I don't know your you manage on your little legs (no disrespect). That viper sign is scary but really cute too. The scariest picture is you on the rock. Isn't that a long long way down? Your humans must be extra tranquilo.

    Have a great week :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      My little legs can take me very far :)
      As for the rock, it was much safer than it looks!

      Delete
  2. Another Great adventure! What terrific tranquil scenery! Hubby took a cruise on Lake Como when he was in Italy visiting the BLM factory for work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to take a cruise on Lake Como! Dad promises we'll go on a boat-assisted hike in the spring. Basically, we'll take a public boat to a trailhead in one the Lake Como towns.

      Forgive our ignorance, but what is BLM?
      In the US it's the Bureau of Land Management :)

      Delete
  3. You have the most awesome adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be burning so many calories and keeping a great figure with those hikes! What lovely views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a history of putting on weight out of thin air. With my ultra-slow metabolism, I can never burn enough calories!

      Delete
  5. What beautiful scenery! That rock almost looks like Dolomite or Limestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I have no idea what kind of rock it is. But it totally looks wotten-waven :)

      Delete
  6. You hike and pictures are beautiful! The views are amazing!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place and great pics!
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mom is bugging Dad because she wants the same camera your mom got for Christmas.

      Delete
  8. Some great poses there buddy!!

    I'm amazed how far those little legs can take you :)

    Have a fun day,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I may have little legs, but I'm built like a tank :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures, except for the snake reminder. We would not like to meet one of those.

    the brown dawgs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope we never meet a snake again. I met a viper last fall; thank goodness Dad saw it before I did!

      Delete
  10. What an adventure! You are such a lucky pup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My life hasn't always been easy, but now it's really wotten-waven :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...